Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Have to Set the Example

I like to try different foods.  I love trying different ethnic dishes for sure.  A hang up I have, which I think most people have, is that I psych myself out simply by the sound of the word of the food.  For example I haven't tried Rocky Mountain Oysters or Escargot because I know what they are and I can't get past the name.  

The other day, however, I faced one of those giants:  Liver and Onions.  I've heard many people talk about it.  Mom would talk about the nursing home always making it for the residents.  Mom and dad were never a fan of it.  However, I figured with my chef husband making me a dish I have never tasted, it can't be that bad right?  

My verdict?  Feed it to the dog.  The texture of it was okay, but there was just this funny taste.  It was very dry, and even with the gravy I couldn't get passed the taste.  I'm trying to put this funny taste into words and I am having a hard time coming up with something that will work.  It's not metallic, it's not a fatty taste because liver does not have any fat in it.  

Unlike me, my two big kids (10 yr old son, 9 yr old daughter) enjoyed it and my husband helped himself to three pieces!!  The three little ones wouldn't even touch it.  I'm not sure if I am willing to try it again though.  Maye if it was prepared differently.  Despite my lack of enthusiasm, I had to set the example and at least try it.   

1 comment:

  1. I never touch it. When I was a kid...it literally made my nose bleed (too much iron in it for my body)..and as it turns out...that was a good thing as it contributes to kidney stones. :D

    So....in my opinion.....try it again a couple of times...but if it doesn't take...you aren't missing much!

    ReplyDelete