Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Night Time Diapers.

Well it looks like it is time to revamp my night time solution.  *sigh*  For quite some time now (at least a year) I have been using KaWaii Goodnight Heavy Wetters.  That is a fairly bulletproof cover, by the way.  Stuffed inside were two microfiber inserts.  I thought that was the greatest thing ever!!  Can you tell I've never had a heavy wetter yet?  So, this worked great for a while.  Then we started to have leaks.  Eh, I'm no stranger to leaks so I started researching for more absorbent inserts.  I found the amazing soakability powers of hemp.  I've heard many moms swear by hemp for night time solutions.  So on the search I went.  I really didn't need to look far as I had 4 hemp microfiber combo doublers stuffed away in my closet.  Remember my last blog about the 188 diapers in my closet?  Well I found these among that pile.  I had put them away because I bought them when I was using only prefolds with my two girls.  I would put them in my prefold for their night time diaper.  And it worked awesome too; why did I ever forget them?  Oh I should mention that they were made by Blueberry, but unfortunately I can't even find them on their website.  

So after having to actually research how to properly use them (microfiber on top, hemp on bottom) I decided to give them a try in my KaWaii.  Once again, problem solved.  Now it may sound like a lot, but I used that doubler along with a microfiber insert in my pockets.  It was a fluffy bum, but not gigantic.  With my new found love for hemp I decided to find some other hemp products and came across Hemp Babies Prefolds.  I tried stuffing this into my BumGenius AIO and for my 2 year old it was magic!  She went 12+ hours in that diaper.  Unfortunately it was too big for my son, so I had to stick with the KaWaii pockets.  

Well, now we are back to square one (sort of).  The KaWaii are no longer working for either one of my little ones.  My daughter is 2 and my son is 1 and they are peeing right through it.  My son is a tummy sleeper, and I try to keep the inserts up front, but even still, the front of the cover is soaked.  I know part of the problem is that the Blueberry doubler is only a medium and I need a large.  That may fix it but they don't make them anymore, or at least I can't find them.  I need another solution, so to my diverse stash I go.  My son is big enough that the AIO are starting to fit him, so my AIO are now my go to night time diapers.  

The hardest decision was to decide what to stuff in them.  I only have two Hemp Babies, so that will work for one night, but I don't wash every day.  In my own store I have Thirsties Hemp Prefolds.  Wow, these things are just awesome.  I had grabbed one from the store so I could simply see how well it worked.  I was skeptical at first.  This prefold looked like some cotton jersey sewn together.  Well it sort of is.  It is made from hemp jersey and it is one of the softest hemps I have ever felt.  My only complaint is that it is not very big so it really can't be used like a normal prefold where you can snappi or pin around your baby.  Well I should clarify that.  If you have skinny or smaller babies, they could be used that way, but for my big babies I can't.  However that is not a problem.  I think these diapers were made primarily for trifolding use.  So that is exactly what I did.  I stuffed it into my BG AIO and put it on my 2 year old.  Once again, I was not disappointed.  In fact I was very happy in that it is slightly a trimmer option than a regular prefold in an AIO.  I was equally surprised to find that this prefold works wonders in a flat even for night!

My final solution that I came up with is simply using a prefold.  I have some Green Mountain Diaper brown edge, Econobums, and one OsoCozy from my store.  The GMD are too big to stuff so I don't use those.  The Econobums are too small to pin or snappi on my son so they work very well to stuff with.  However they are a bit narrow when trifolded, so when I trifold it in the AIO, it makes it a bit bulky.  My favorite prefold for stuffing is the OsoCozy Indian Unbleached prefold.  These can seem a bit deceiving in that they don't look very thick, but they are.  Once they have been prepped enough and they are used in your stash, they fluff up nicely and absorb well.  

My night time stash has had to evolve over the last few months.  With growing babies, and yes let's face it, growing bladders, things have to change.  Here then is the running list of my favorite night time solutions.  

BG AIO with Thirsties Duo Hemp Prefold
Birdseye Unbleached Flat with Thirsties Duo Hemp Prefold
BG AIO with Hemp Babies Prefold
BG AIO with OsoCozy Prefold
BG AIO with Econobum Prefold

Now the BG AIO does get substituted once in a while with flats on those rare occasions of, "oops I didn't wash diapers today."  

No comments:

Post a Comment