Friday, October 12, 2012

Motherhood and Stress

I just came across a great article by one of my favorite bloggers, Jennifer Fulwiler.  As moms I think many times we put undue stress upon ourselves because of our own expectations of what we think is right for our family.  I know I do this many times.  

As a single woman in college, I used to thrive on stress and deadlines.  It pushed me.  I felt in control because I was goal oriented.  A mere 14 months after graduating college I became a mother and my whole world went into a tail spin.  What is it about motherhood that can make a person so stressed?  Then a short 11 years later we have 6 children move to a new town and I start up a home business.  

Stress/chaos and I are NOT good bed fellows anymore.  It has become so hard to integrate the needs/wants of the kids into my own "schedule".  The oldest two are now at an age that they are trying out various activities on top of assigned homework.  I never realized before how much involvement was required of me for my school aged children.  Now my two middle children are in preschool and the parent notes abound.  They need this, they will need that..... *whew* My head spins.

Okay, so where am I going with this?  It's a common theme in some group discussions I have been having.  There comes a time when you have stop, step back and take a good, honest and hard look at what is going on around you.  And in that moment, you have to find an inner peace and quiet.  I call this "Me Time".  Some moms will say that it's not necessary, but I think it is when something is stressing you out every day.  

Jennifer Fulwiler's article 6 Simple Tips For When You're Utterly Overwhelmed gives some great ideas for how to re-group and re-fresh from stress.  Now you will notice that it is coming from a Christian/religious perspective, but I feel that anyone (religious or not) can glean something from Jennifer's insights.  

The tip that hits home the biggest is #2:  Ruthlessly make time to get away.  Wow, this is so hard to do on a daily basis.  I totally have the, "Pray continuously" down pat because I am constantly having "conversations" with God, but I know that it is a one way conversation.  I can't hear what He has to say if I am constantly on the go or holed up in my office typing away.  

So as I prepare to get my day started (which started off in chaos already because I over slept and didn't get the kids up until 8:10 and school starts at 8:20) I have to remember to keep a tight hold on the reigns so that I can stop and refuel to ease the load of any stress that may come my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment