Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Let The Nesting Commence....Part II

Picture this.....35 weeks 5 days pregnant.  But who's counting? 
-Baby bassinet put together?  CHECK 
-Baby clothes washed, in the drawers and ready to go?  CHECK 
-Hospital bags packed for Mommy, Daddy and not so Lil' D?  CHECK
-Stalk mom about getting her bags packed to travel out here for baby?  CHECK
-Replace necessary items such as infant car seat and bouncer that were attacked by mold and mildew in the basement of our old house?  CHECK
-House clean, pantry stocked and ready to go food frozen in freezer?  kinda-CHECK
-Diapers prepped, clean, organized and ready to go?  CHECK

Ahhhh....the diaper stash!  As I mentioned in the previous blog post, we did not start cloth diapering our son until he was a toddler.  With baby #2, we plan to start as soon as we get home.  As promised, here is the stash I have collected:



*5 fitted diapers including 2 Thirsties Fab Fitted and 3 OsoCozy unbleached cotton
*13 prefolds including 6 generic Gerbers, 3 knickernappies unbleached cotton and 4 Thirsties Duo Hemp
*3 OsoCozy unbleached flats
*5 Snappi's
*3 (soon to be 5) Thirsties Duo Wrap covers

Collecting the stash has been fun.  I already had the Gerber prefolds as they were used with Lil' D as spit up cloths.  Oh boy, could that kid puke, just ask my cousin Debbie.  I also had the Hemp prefolds because hemp is so so SO very absorbant.  I used them as extra stuffing for Lil' D's diapers.  The rest came from Nicole Dente, Cloth Diaper Expert.  Take a look at her site to get the specifics on pretty much everything but the Gerber prefolds.

As for the Snappi's, if you don't know what they are for, they replace the pins in case I choose to use the flats/prefolds as fitteds and not just to lie inside the covers.  I can't lie, pins on babies still freak me out a bit.

I made a point to try and purchase items that will be able to be used for the long haul.  Or, as long as possible.  Many one size cloth diapers are not ideal for newborns.  And if this baby is anything like his or her big brother, skinny-mini is going to be the rule for a month or so.  I do have several more covers, fitteds and all in ones for when the baby chunks up a bit.  But, showing those may or may not give away the gender of the baby.  Which, as of this point, I am not at freedom to divulge if said information has or has not to me been passed.  ;-)

Once I am able to grab those last two covers (blue and green) from Nicole, my newborn stash will be complete.  Don't think the purple means anything.  Did you see them Ravens?  Real men wear purple. 

Probably some morning at 3am when baby is nursing, I'll be able to tell you what worked, what didn't and why.  At least for our family.  Each kid is different.  Each family is different.  Cloth diapers are not for everyone.  Don't worry mom, we do have Newborn disposable diapers and pull ups for when you are here.  Like I said, cloth diapering is not for everyone.  But, it is for this family.  At least right now.

Sharon Underwood is a SAHM of one awesome little 2 year old boy Derrek.  She and her husband live in a rural town in Nebraska.  Through mutual friends, Sharon and I have learned quite a bit about raising our families "naturally".

No comments:

Post a Comment